SOT: Performance options for old Dasher wagons?

Wagons with wheels and performance are cool.  Had a Quantum Syncro with some mods that was a helluvalotta fun.

Saw a non-descript brown (read well worn) Dasher wagon at the VW show at Bandimere drag Strip in Denver a few years back.  It lined up against a realy clean A2 16V GTI.  Looked to be a no-contest.  All the Dasher looked like it had was a set of 15" alloys.  Until it did a burnout.  Wow - that was impressive.  It completely smoked the A2.  It was a turbo 1.8 8V.

I got into Foxes for a while - they are basically the same chassis as the Dasher.  The engine and tranny pieces are all the same.  So a 5spd from a Fox, Quantum, or 2wd Audi 4000 should bolt right in.  Likewise, any VW 4cyl would mount up, but you can runinto problems with manifolds - the regular 16V manifolds (exhaust especially) will have clearance problems.  That said, there were European 4000s that had 16Vs so manifolds are available (as opposed to custom) but hard to find and pricey.

The suspension and brakes are very similar between the models as well.  I was actually planning on using Audi 10.1" front brakes, rear discs, an A2 rear axle & swaybar, Audi 4000 front control arms and swaybar, coilovers, a 2.0 8V, etc etc.

gd

. I've always liked seeing wagons lowered with fat wheels. I'm a person who's all about "rare" so this would fit in rather nicely.

Is anyone familiar with them? I know the engine configuration is like that in a Fox, but what's the ability like to install typical A1 mods? (both power train and suspension). Can a 16v be installed using the existing motor mounts?