Cold-start ?'s and possibility of reconditioning window seals(sorta long)

Quoting Eric S <scirocco81@vwmail.net>:

> Jeff,
>
> My CIS-E Motronic pickup has a SEVERE cold start issue, much like you
> describe.
>
> According to the bentley, the cold start injector always has power, and is
> duty cycled by the ECU via the ground wire.

That being true, then it is the ground that is switched, so testing resistance
when the thing is ice cold will help...

  ECU sets a duty cycle on the
> cold start injector based off coolant temp sensor input.  I jumpered my cold
> start injector to the battery as a test on a very cold morning (100% duty
> cycle doing that!).  And it flooded the motor, but it fired IMMEDIATELY, then
> flooded.  So...I'd suspect you have the same issue, cold start injector not
> firing.

Isn't there a relay that controls that pulsewidth?  When I am starting my car,
I can hear that relay working until the car starts...  On, off quickly, the
on, off quickly, until the car starts...  It will also pulse when hot, and on
a hot day, depending on ambient temp...

  Couple of culprits...broken wires to cold start, or to coolant temp
> sensor.  Bad coolant temp sensor or cold start injector, and last, ECU.  I
> need to look at the wiring diagrams again...but I think the ECU needs to know
> your in "start mode" for it to do the cold start sequence....since both of
> our cars are swaps...maybe a wire is not hooked up right?  Again, need to
> look at the ECU wiring again to confirm my suspicions.

Again, I could be off here, but I was thinking this was controlled by a relay,
which then gets its' power from the ignition switch...  Possibly the timing of
the pulse is inbetween the two, the ECU and the relay?  I can't recall, been
too long for me head to recollect it...  :-(

HTH

David