From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of David Utley
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 11:03 AM
To: treed2@wsu.edu
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: broken ashtray--places for coins

Not to help you directly with your problem, but I picked up a coin
holder from
a GM car...  THe sucker is prolly 6 inches tall, and I have been
trying to
figure out how to install this into my car so that it is removable as
it is in
the GM cars...  The GM cars have two round slots that slide up into
the
holder...  Trouble is, those slots are molded into the center console
on the
cars they came off of...  Anyone have any ideas how to make this work
in our
cars?

TIA

David

Quoting treed2@wsu.edu:

> Over the years I've been thoughtlessly emptying my pockets of spare
> change by dumping it the ashtray. Several pounds of coins
accumulated
> in this way. Recently when I hit a speed bump particularly hard it
> exploded, rather comically sending loose change everywhere! It was
> kind of like a grenade; luckily no one was hurt. I just had to spend

> 20 minutes picking up quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies.
>
> The door is partially broken off (one hinge is still hanging on) but
> managed to pin it back together using a drill and a small nail.
>
> >From now on I'm not putting any more change in there, but I need
some
> (clever?) ideas about what to do. I could spend $5 replacing the ash

> tray with a used one, or I could:
>
> - install triple vdo gauges (too expensive at ~$50 a gauge plus
> senders)
> - glue the door permanently shut so that the ashtray is only
'decorative'
> - rework the hinges to open the ashtray door gullwing-style
> - turn it in to a "detactable face" ashtray
> - install an in-dash aquarium in its place
> - build a miniature diorama complete with tiny plastic figurines
> - ???
>
> I'm open for ideas, people.
>
> -Toby

Cable Motors