help me pass aircare!

Phew, what a long day. I finally pimped enough hoes and got the rocco goin'
again. I gave it an oil change/tune up and took it through aircare. First
they wouldn't test it because my ebrake doesn't work or rather is missing. I
had to just screw down an A2 lever and hose-clamp the arm to the cables  so
they wouldn't notice. So they tested it and it failed miserably! doh. I was
really surprised because it passed by a large margin last year.

1.7L 8V w/ CIS Basic no O2

Heres the results:

----------max-------mycar-----pass/fail

driving

HC-------301--------125-------pass
CO-------2.29-------0.91------pass
NOX------3220-------3377------fail

idle

HC-------412--------468-------fail
CO-------4.63-------8.78------fail

My idle was a little low (750ish), a mechanic friend said to turn that up to
1000 for aircare. He also said to lean out the mixture and pull back timing
a bit, and go through again and it should pass. I raised the idle and was
gonna go back through but they were just closed!

Aircare is $24 each time and insurance is $30/day so I can only give this
one more chance - I'm tapped.

So after 8 hours and $1500, still no plates, argh.  Here's a pic to show the
action:

http://www.performancecarstereo.com/boxpics/atwork.jpg

Any insights?

Vince