From: "Ryan H" <rhock99@epix.net>
To: "Dave Ewing" <MK1Scirocco16v@comcast.net>
Cc: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: RE: Pedal assembly help needed.

> OK, I've got everything out of the way - steering column is dropped,
nothing is connected to the pedal assembly bracket in the engine bay.  And
the pedal assembly still won't budge.  I stared and stared at it trying to
find another bolt holding it to the dash or somewhere, but I can't find it.
It's got to be there, otherwise they tack welded my pedal assembly bracket
to the firewall, cause it's TIGHT.
> So, anyone know where else there are bolts on the pedal assembly?  I've
got the three that go through the firewall taken care of.
> Thanks all (especially Dave for all the help!)
>

> > From: "Dave Ewing" <MK1Scirocco16v@comcast.net>
> > Date: 2003/11/28 Fri AM 04:07:53 EST
> > To: "Ryan H" <rhock99@epix.net>
> > Subject: RE: Pedal assembly help needed.
> >
> > You'll have to take the bolts off that attach the column to the
underside of
> > the dash.  This will drop the column down and probably take care of most
of
> > your problems.  Be careful as it may cause a little stress on your wires
for
> > your combo switch and ignition switch (you may want to disconnect them).
> > Anyhoo, try that and it should help out greatly.  I am pretty sure there
are
> > no other bolts on the pedal assy but make sure you look around there
could
> > be one anchoring it down to the bottom part of the dash as well (I
really
> > don't think so though--I think I'm mistaking this for an A2--A1s and A2s
are
> > WAY different).  So you already removed the little plate on the column
> > pedal assy???  If so, you are VERY close!!!  Good luck and LMK how
things
> > work out.  Hope you had a wonderful Turkey day!
> >

> > Dave

The
> > pedal assembly still doesn't want to budge though - there's a plastic
ring
> > around the steering column that it fits snug against, and I think this
may
> > be the reason.  How did you remove this?  It's the ring that the little
> > metal plate (previously removed) was resting against.  I tried tapping
it
> > out with a hammer and screwdriver, but it just sorta chips.  But once I
get
> > the assembly loose, how do you "drop" the steering column?  I've got the
> > bolt that holds the u-joint together loose, but the steering shaft
doesn't
> > just pop out of it (i.e. they're tight together).  Any other hints
greatly
> > appreciated.  Thanks for all your help Dave, you're a lifesaver!
> > Ryan H.
> > >
> > > From: "Dave Ewing" <MK1Scirocco16v@comcast.net>
> > > Date: 2003/11/17 Mon PM 05:56:49 EST
> > > To: "Ryan H" <rhock99@epix.net>
> > > Subject: RE: Pedal assembly help needed.
> > >
> > > They are back there, I guarantee it!!  BUT, yes, it is tough to get to
but
> > > not impossible.  I have this really nice Snap-On "S" wrench that I use
for
> > > diesel injection pumps that helps some on those but usually just a
stubby
> > 13
> > > will do the trick for you.  If I remember correctly a couple are where
you
> > > can see them and a couple are kinda hidden so you have to feel for
them.
> > > Your fore arms will know you've been working them after this job!
> > >
> > > Anyway, your on the right track and this is the hardest part of the
job.
> > > After that it's pretty smooth sailing!
> > >
> > > Dave

bolts