Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:47:10 -0600 (CST)
From: stetson <tim@unrealexpectations.ath.cx>
To: Marc Getty <marc@getty.net>
Cc: scirocco81@vwmail.net, scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: Seti@Home / Distributed Computing

Neither of those.

I like the idea of SETI, but if your were a more highly advanced
intelligence, would you invite the cockroaches?
I doubt they would either.

Marsenne prime number research seems to be interesting to mathmaticians
and cryptologists but not to me either (although I DO see something about
"prize money" on the home page!)

Finally settled on a distributed computing project after reading this
blurb on Slashdot and it seemed more immediately usable and better for
everyone in the long run:

"I'm sure most of you have heard about the Human Genome Project by now and
how it is working to map our DNA. Aparently there is now a race going on
with corporations also performing the similar experiments, except with the
intent of patenting the results. Now troc is wondering if another
distributed computing effort might be in order. What do you all think?
Click below troc's actual question.

troc asks: "I was watching a TV programme on UK TV last night about the
Human Genome Project and how there was a race to sequence and publish the
whole thing before the private companies do it and patent the sequences.
Basically lasers are used to break up the strands, these are then read and
fed into a computer that tries to match the bits up with other bits like a
giant jigsaw puzzle. This requires a lot of computing time.

Is this an opportunity for the open source movement to help decode the
sequences and publish the whole thing becore it's patented?

<soapbox>

I, for one, don't like the idea of a private company owning my gene
sequences. They will be able to limit the use of these so only really rich
pharmaceutical companies will be able to develop drugs etc and then sell
them at huge profits, which isn't realy for the benefit of mankind blah
blah blah.

</soapbox>"

So that's where my unused duty cycles go......

Available at

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/genome/

Loking for the genome home page/client link I came accross this site:

http://www.aspenleaf.com/distributed/

I had no idea there were sooooo many!

Tim

 You're being followed.  Cut out the hanky-panky for a few
days.