Crossmember Braces

While we're on this related subject, I've been trying to determine
which Scirocco models/years came with the inner fender brace.  I've
found a couple of pictures doing a Google image search of Mk2
Sciroccos with the outer fender removed and no brace is shown.
Secondly, did Rabbit models have this feature?  I seem to recall
reading (many years ago) that it was only on Sciroccos.

These are some pics of the wheel well of my car and the flat Y brace
I'm talking about.

http://users.adelphia.net/~gforbess/images/brace1.jpg
http://users.adelphia.net/~gforbess/images/brace2.jpg
http://users.adelphia.net/~gforbess/images/brace3.jpg