tach cluster electrical

The tach cluster has been intermittently going
"off line", usually when I'd hit a bump in the road --
tach drops to zero, fuel and temp gauges also,
and no indicator lights.

Now it only works if I push on the steering column
at a certain angle and hold the pressure on it.  So
obviously there is an electrical connection loose,
but before I tear into the instrument cluster I'm
wondering if there is a specific connector I should
be looking for, and any how-to's regarding getting
at the bugger ... can it be accessed from underneath,
without removing the steering wheel and all that?

TIA
Leo