Replacing water pump

So I went out and bought a water pump.
I've never done any such mechanical work, and thus asked my older
brother if he'd help. He laughed and told me that there's no way
we could replace that, that it'd require taking off the front of
the engine (??, didn't look like it would require that to me from
staring at it).
He told me to just take it to a mechanic. I really can't afford
that, and the VW mechanic where I bought the waterpump for said
nothing about me not being able to handle it on my own, he gave me
hints about what to do and such, giving me the impression that it
wouldn't be a difficult task.
Can I do it myself? If so, can someone give me a walkthrough of
what to do, I mean, I can basically look at it and see what needs
to be done, I guess...but it'd help to have someone more
knowledgable's advice.

Justin Tomlinson
Jacksonville, FL
88 16v Scirocco