MkI vents

My first Scirocco, a mars red 80 bare bones model, had front vent windows.
It was a Canadian car, if that matters.  My last two Mk1's didn't (80 and 81
"S"s).  I'm confused as well, anyone have a definitive answer on what
years/models these came on?

Mark.
80 S
81 S - strut tower area repaired yesterday, fender rail being welded in
today...