CIS Fuel Distrib. Problem solved?

Okay,

I took the fuel distributor right off and had a look at it. The plunger was
stuck inside.  Took quite some force to get it out.  Cleaned it with gas
and put it back together. Went up and down, but not well. So I cleaned it
with carb cleaner for a while (soaked it) and then put it back in.  Seemed
to work okay.

Put the distrib back into the car.  Car fires up runs for about a min. and
then dies. Will not start again. So I take off the fuel distrib again and
the same problem.

I went to the wreckers to get another and they had no old MK1's (this is
off an '80).  I grabbed one from an '86.  It is slightly different. It has
a valve on it that the old one did not. I have it installed and just left
the electrical plug with nothing connected.  Car runs now (have to adjust
mixture, etc still)

BUT, I wanted to know if I should expect any problems from this different
fuel distrib?  Should I keep hunting down an old style one, or will this
one be just fine?

TIA

Cory