Non Scirocco Related - advice on Beetle purchase

TDI's are a great engine, as others have stated.

They're not without their quirks, and the new beetles have a few as well
(window regulators ring a bell.)

One of the ongoing problems with the TDI is the EGR causes a build-up of
sooty goo (not unlike creosote in composition) in the intake tract.  With
low mileage on the one you're looking at, it's not too late to prevent the
buildup by adjusting the amount of EGR in the computer.

www.tdiclub.com is a good resource, has faqs, forums etc.  I'd recommend
conducting research there if you have any concerns about your planned
purchase.

The TDI's torque (145/149lb-ft@1900) makes it quite a pleasure to drive,
and the fuel economy is fabulous (unless you're driving with Cathy... :)
)  For the performance minded chips/tuning boxes/performance upgrades are
available that will boost the 90hp output easily to 110hp and beyond.

Like their predecessors, TDI's are still noisy (take away the sound
insulation) and they still stink (I find actually that my 99's exhaust
smells more noxious than the Scirocco's A2 TD vintage exhaust.)  But hey,
that's why diesel drivers love 'em so... :)

Drew