Turbo 8V JH

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Toomasson" <jtoomasson@yahoo.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: Turbo 8V JH

> Very nice, Dan! I assume your nephew who owns the car is not the cute
little
> guy in the pictures!  ;)

Nope. The owner, Mike, is a little bigger at 6'1". OTOH the 3 year old does
know what a turbo is and likes messing with the one that will never get
installed on my car!

> I especially like the taper on the throttle body inlet. Is it me, or do I
> notice a slight circumference reduction and then enlargement in the taper
in
> the direction of flow?

The oval section that mates to the TB is just about 2" high which is the
tube diameter, so it was just a question of widening it out. I think the
next time I install a turbo or aftermarket EFI I'll just hack the flange off
the intake manifold and weld on a flange to install a single plate TB off an
ABA or VR6. Won't have the trick adapter but it won't take all day to make
either.

> I have a couple of other ?'s for you, if you don't mind...  :)
>
> Is there anything you'd do differently and why (e.g., going w/ a .48
housing
> or a different intercooler...)? Were those choices made specifically by
> design or availability/price?

Cost was a major issue. We we're hoping to get a .48 housing but the
junkyard turbo ended up being .63. We don't know enough yet to say that a
.48 would be better or not. As far as the intercooler, a Starion IC is
bigger and would have been nice, but they were going for over $100 which was
a little much for the nephew so the Probe intercooler was more affordable at
$50. We would like to do some instrumenting of intake temps, but until then
we have no idea about intercooler efficiency. I'm not a big fan of CIS for
the turbo installation, but Mike was concerned about VA emissions
inspection. It seems to be working reasonably well in that the A/F ratio
goes right down to 12:1 and richer under boost. There are some tricks we can
do to control this, but it's nowhere as easy as dialing in Megasquirt!
On the whole we're really happy with the way it has turned out! First time
out running 6psi Mike absolutely kicked the ass of a new V6 Honda Accord
from 70 to 110! Now even under normal acceleration he'll bring in about 1-2
psi boost and shift ~4000. It's just effortlessly fast!
My biggest thrill was the first time I drove it after completing the
assembly. After all that work the first time you hit boost is just
exhilirating!

Dan

> Thanks, JT

AC,