16V Exhaust: flex pipe?

I've been through that. Replacing that piece can be
expensive if you go stock.I didn't go stock. What I
did was buy a racing TT 16v downpipe and that worked
great. It was actually cheaper than the flex pipe and
there was a noticable improvement in acceleration,
particularily at the upper end. The nice thing about
this TT downpipe is it is made of stainless steel, so
it will last a long time, and I believe there is a
life time guarantee. When I did this I replaced the
whole exhaust system all the way back with stainless
steel stuff, all for less than $600. I think the
downpipe runs from $150-175. The hardest part for me
was getting the old downpipe off. Not much room down
there and you really have to be careful about snapping
exhaust studs. I found it to be a worthwhile
experience when it was all done. TT has a web site you
can go to and check things out. You can even order a
catalog, which should get to you within a year.

--- Chris M Cougill <cscmc1@eiu.edu> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> 	I have a leak near the flex pipe on my '88 16V.  I
> just got this
> car and am tidying it up, and it runs great except
> for the noise of the
> exhaust.  The Bentley manual is disappointingly
> vague on the exhaust, so
> I hope someone here might have been through this
> already.
> 	I can feel exhaust air around the flex pipe (not up
> higher where
> the exhaust gasket sits secures between 2 flanges
> with 6 bolts).  Is the
> flex pipe easy to replace?  Is it reasonable to
> assume it's gone bad if I
> feel exhaust air around it?  Any recommendations on
> sources for this part?
>
> 	Thanks!
>
> 	Chris
> 	cscmc1@eiu.edu