need body work/insurance advice

First accident in 20 years... a 16 year old girl, just got her
driver's license, darts out across the road in a honda civic,
no time to brake, so I cut the rocco to the right and mashed
her door in, and also mashed my front bumper 4 inches to
the right.  Also skewed the frame an inch or so, it looks like,
as the hood is cattywonkus and won't open, and the passenger
door won't open either, it bumps against the right fender edge.
The rocco drives fine but the frame's gonna need straightening,
I think.

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice if anybody on the list
has been-there/done-that -- somebody told me that since my
car is an 84, their insurance company may not pay for the body
work but claim the car is "totalled" instead.  Is there any strategy
or way I can avoid this?  The claims adjuster hasn't looked at
the rocco yet and I sure would like to get the damage fixed right,
not settle for some paltry "blue book" payment amount.

TIA
Leo