Goodyear F1, Protenza S-03 - anybody have an opinion?

At 08:19 PM 4/29/2003, Tyler P. wrote:
>Oops it seems that the goodyear f1 isn't actually the model its the f1
>gs-d3.  It seems from searching on vortex that eric from tirerack claims
>these are better than the protenza s-03.  I think I may have to try these
>out and let you all know how they are...
>
>heres a link
>http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1
>+GS-D3&vehicleSearch=false&partnum=245ZR7F1GSD3&fromCompare1=yes

Just keep in mind that the rating on that Tire Rack comparison is not what
I'd call "significant" at this point.  The people who have rated the S-03
have put over 3.8 million miles on those tires -- the F1 GS-D3 ranks much
higher in the "I would buy again" category, but very similarly in all other
categories.  The difference is that people have only put 208,332 miles on
them.  That's just not large enough of a sample to compare to the S-03 IMO.

If you remember the 1st generation Potenza RE-730, you'll recognize another
problem.  At first, the tires were very highly rated, but as they aged,
they became unbearably loud - which eventually caused Bridgestone to
redesign them as the RE-730 Gen II... and ultimately cancel them
altogether.  Their marks were higher than the venerable RE-71 at first...
but certainly not later on.  So until some more people put serious mileage
on the F1's, I'd approach them with a little more caution.

Jason