vacuum leaks - brake booster?

--0-1960649435-1051663914=:63744

I know that from experienc if you press on your brakes and you hear an audible pfftt (hiss) the booster is leaking and should be change because it does affect your vaccum system, how does it affect the brake unknown I have not waited until the brakes failed beofre changing it

"T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:Okay, this is just a random stab.. knowing that the brake booster operates
off of engine vacuum, I have to assume that it has some sort of big rubber
diaphragm with a lot of surface area that generates braking force by
utilizing the gas pressure differential between atmospheric pressure and
engine vacuum.

Does this rubber ever fatigue or crack and result in a vacuum leak that
could go undetected, hurting engine performance? Or would that cause a
very noticable change in braking power?

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this happening.

-Toby