knock system questions...

>From: "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu>
>
>For judging the engine load and determining how much to advance timing
>under acceleration for optimal performance/fuel economy. It must be
>connected for timing advance to work at all.

well, this isn't quite true: it will still advance with it disconnected (13'
+ base timing). maybe just not as much.

> > still pretty ticked at this car...
>
>Keep fighting, eventually you'll figure out what's wrong.
>
>-Toby

i'm losing faith...
one last question. what happens to the car at wot? pretty much my
understanding is that vw gives up on fuel economy, and things get simpler:
you're running open-loop with the o2 sensor, and if i understand correctly,
the dpr gets a fixed current at wot (16ma), which would make the fi
basically mechanical at that point (no dpr modulation, based strictly on air
plate height?). how bout the ignition? does it do something similar? maybe
say "screw the other inputs, i'm going to my preset ignition advance unless
the knock sensor tells me not to"?

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA-->Soon to be New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...