knock system questions...

The knock box is a map based system. In other words it uses two basic inputs
to determine ignition advance. On top of the two basic inputs are 3
additional inputs that are used to modify the amount of igniton advance.
The two basic inputs are RPM, to determine the, uh...RPM! and intake
manifold vacuum to determine engine load. The vacuum port musted be
connected to manifold vacuum, not ported vacuum. Don't connect it to the
vacuum port on the TB. Connect it to a port on the big assed vacuum hose
that goes to the brake booster.
Typically, as RPM increases the ignition advance increases until you get to
a certain RPM (~3500-4000) after which it will stay constant.
Easy to test. Just disconnect the vacuum line from the unit and watch for
igniton advance as the engine is revved.
Also, as vacuum increases the ignition will advance. This is more difficult
to test because the amount of vacuum/load based advance depends on RPM. I'd
test it by holding the engine at 3000 RPM with the vacuum hose disconnected
then check advance while sucking/pulling a vacuum on the hose.
The 3 additional inputs are; idle switch, full throttle switch, and knock
sensor.
The idle switch tells the knock box to not to adjust advance due to engine
vacuum while idling. This gives a nice stable idle and allows consistent
timing to set the advance. If this switch isn't working the advance will be
more than it should at idle and the total advance under load will be less
(way less) than is optimum for power. (provided your vacuum hose is hooked
up to manifold vacuum)
The knock sensor, of course, alerts the knock box of knock. The box will
retard timing until knock goes away, then try to readvance timing to the
base number unless knock reappears. The knock box does not try to keep
advancing from the base map value until it senses knock. The base map value
is, presumeably, optimum for power and the until only retards from that
value if knock is sensed.
I'm not sure what the full throttle switch does, but I suspect it again
tells the knock box not to look at manifold vacuum and just use the base WOT
settings.
I'd check that the unit is advancing based on the RPM test and vacuum test
above, and check for correct operation of the full throttle and idle
switches.
Hope all that was clear.
Dan