(OT) Battery recharging conflict

So my friend had a battery die on her.  Someone jump started her car.
The following technique was used:

Battery cables to poles of all batteries (not chassis ground on car with
dead battery).  The donor car was started before the car with the dead
battery.

The donor car now has a dead alternator, and the owner of the car is
blaming the charging technique.  According to her, starting the donor
car then the charging car put extra strain on the alternator.  Any truth
to this?  I believe she wants my friend to pay to replace her
alternator.

How much power does a running car need?  I am under the impression that
it doesn't need much juice unless its cranking or the lights are on.

Koabi

Ps: rocco content!  My car passed emissions so now I can renew
registration.