Wheel Bearing Replacement

--=====================_2055910906==_.ALT

Tobias bought a cool kit-o-wheel bearing tools from Harbor Freight... not
expensive. Don't know how well it works cuz we haven't tried it yet...

-Raffi

At 11:17 AM 4/21/2003 -0400, Dan Bubb wrote:
>There is a tool that allows you to replace the wheel bearing with the hub
>carrier still installed on the car.
>IMO it's just way easier than dicking around with removing the hub carrier
>and setting up a press.
>The tool can be rented from
><http://www.germanautoparts.com>www.germanautoparts.com which is also a
>good place to buy the bearings or <http://www.rapidparts.com>www.rapidparts.com
>Dan

yet...<br><br>
-Raffi<br><br>
At 11:17 AM 4/21/2003 -0400, Dan Bubb wrote:<br>
a tool that allows you to replace the wheel bearing with the hub carrier
still installed on the car.</font><br>
with removing the hub carrier and setting up a press.</font><br>
<dl>
<dd>----- Original Message -----
<dd>From:</b> <a href="mailto:esinger@northstate.net";>Eric D Singer</a>
<dd>To:</b> <a href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</a>
<dd>Sent:</b> Monday, April 21, 2003 9:47 AM
<dd>I'm getting ready to do my own front wheel bearing replacement on my '84 scirocco and I remember coming across a procedure someone place on their web site.&nbsp; Does anyone know the website I talking about?</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>I'm also looking for a list of tools that I'm going to need (minus a machine press) to perform this and well as any miscellaneous parts I may need.</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>A friend of mine suggested a method that did not require a machine press for the bearing.&nbsp; First step is to get the old bearing out of the housing using whatever brutal method you choose.&nbsp; He made the point that the bearing is going to be replaced anyway, so mangle the old one if necessary to get it out.&nbsp; The second step is to place the new bearing in the freezer for a while.&nbsp; The third step is to place the housing in the oven.&nbsp; With the difference between the hot expanded metal and the cold bearing, the new bearing will slip right in.&nbsp; Has anyone tried this?</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Thanks,</font>
<dd>&nbsp;<font face="arial" size=2>
<dd>Trinity, NC</font>