Wheel Bearing Replacement

------=____1050944284304_'JbwG_.SVS

Where do you see such tools?  I'm looking for them, but can't find em?  Thanx.

> From: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
> Date: 2003/04/21 Mon AM 11:17:10 EDT
> To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Re: Wheel Bearing Replacement
>
> There is a tool that allows you to replace the wheel bearing with the hub carrier still installed on the car.
> IMO it's just way easier than dicking around with removing the hub carrier and setting up a press.
> The tool can be rented from www.germanautoparts.com which is also a good place to buy the bearings or www.rapidparts.com
> Dan

------=____1050944284304_'JbwG_.SVS

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>There is a tool that allows you to replace the
wheel bearing with the hub carrier still installed on the car.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>IMO it's just way easier than dicking around with
removing the hub carrier and setting up a press.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The tool can be rented from&nbsp;<A
href="http://www.germanautoparts.com";>www.germanautoparts.com</A>&nbsp;which is
also a good place to buy the bearings or&nbsp;<A
href="http://www.rapidparts.com";>www.rapidparts.com</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Dan</FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A title=esinger@northstate.net href="mailto:esinger@northstate.net";>Eric D
  Singer</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, April 21, 2003 9:47
AM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Wheel Bearing Replacement</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'm getting ready to do my own front wheel
  bearing replacement on my '84 scirocco and I remember coming across a
  procedure someone place on their web site.&nbsp; Does anyone know the website
  I talking about?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'm also looking for a list of tools that I'm
  going to need (minus a machine press) to perform this and well as any
  miscellaneous parts I may need.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>A friend of mine suggested a method that did not
  require a machine press for the bearing.&nbsp; First step is to get the old
  bearing out of the housing using whatever brutal method you choose.&nbsp; He
  made the point that the bearing is going to be replaced anyway, so mangle the
  old one if necessary to get it out.&nbsp; The second step is to place the new
  bearing in the freezer for a while.&nbsp; The third step is to place the
  housing in the oven.&nbsp; With the difference between the hot expanded metal
  and the cold bearing, the new bearing will slip right in.&nbsp; Has anyone
  tried this?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Eric Singer</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>'84 8v Scirocco</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Trinity, NC</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=____1050944284304_'JbwG_.SVS--