Wheel Bearing Replacement

------=____1050936169640_a5m-Ba)kAE

You're definitely looking for Patrick's website.  It's in the tech section.  Here you go: http://longcoeur.com/scirocco/
Enjoy!

> From: "Eric D Singer" <esinger@northstate.net>
> Date: 2003/04/21 Mon AM 09:47:53 EDT
> To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
> Subject: Wheel Bearing Replacement
>
> I'm getting ready to do my own front wheel bearing replacement on my '84 scirocco and I remember coming across a procedure someone place on their web site.  Does anyone know the website I talking about?
>
> I'm also looking for a list of tools that I'm going to need (minus a machine press) to perform this and well as any miscellaneous parts I may need.
>
> A friend of mine suggested a method that did not require a machine press for the bearing.  First step is to get the old bearing out of the housing using whatever brutal method you choose.  He made the point that the bearing is going to be replaced anyway, so mangle the old one if necessary to get it out.  The second step is to place the new bearing in the freezer for a while.  The third step is to place the housing in the oven.  With the difference between the hot expanded metal and the cold bearing, the new bearing will slip right in.  Has anyone tried this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric Singer
> '84 8v Scirocco
> Trinity, NC

------=____1050936169640_a5m-Ba)kAE

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'm getting ready to do my own front wheel bearing
replacement on my '84 scirocco and I remember coming across a procedure someone
place on their web site.&nbsp; Does anyone know the website I talking
about?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I'm also looking for a list of tools that I'm going
to need (minus a machine press) to perform this and well as any miscellaneous
parts I may need.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>A friend of mine suggested a method that did not
require a machine press for the bearing.&nbsp; First step is to get the old
bearing out of the housing using whatever brutal method you choose.&nbsp; He
made the point that the bearing is going to be replaced anyway, so mangle the
old one if necessary to get it out.&nbsp; The second step is to place the new
bearing in the freezer for a while.&nbsp; The third step is to place the housing
in the oven.&nbsp; With the difference between the hot expanded metal and the
cold bearing, the new bearing will slip right in.&nbsp; Has anyone tried
this?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Eric Singer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>'84 8v Scirocco</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Trinity, NC</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=____1050936169640_a5m-Ba)kAE--