[TECH] Head Install Questions

--0-1881665395-1050724398=:7231

If the head was machined properly, you only need to use the clay on one cylinder. Place the clay on the piston towards the center of the pistn 3/8" thivk the size of a silver dollar. Then liberally coat it with motor oil(keeps it from sticking). Reinstall the head using and old head gasket. and torgue to half the specified value. Set timing and rotate engine one full revolution, the remove the head and measure the depression depth through the clay and that will tell you your clearance. We used to run a .0020 in clearance on the race motor any less than that and we would have the piston face butterfly cut and rebalance. Brian

"Jason F. Snow" <jasonfsnow@optonline.net> wrote:Hey Gang,

Moved back to New Jersey and finally have my car and tools in the same
place...What a nightmare few months I've had. Anyway gonna try to get
the 81s done this summer...No laughing, I mean it THIS Summer.

First Question:

I had the head shaved a loooong time again and it was redone. Now I am
checking valve clearance. I have modeling clay on all pistons, no head
gasket and the bolts are torqued to 20nm...

Shouldn't I be able to crank the engine over by hand as long as
everything is lined up top dead center?

It can't it won't budge and I don't want to force it...Any ideas?

16v 2.0 Bottom 1.8 Head (Autotech Cams)

Jason F. Snow
Information Technology Consultant
Home: (973)492-8456