High oil temps?

Not *quite* on topic as the car involved is a Cabriolet,
but close enough.

The oil temp in the car ('88 Cabby) runs way warmer than
what I consider normal.  In a 10-15 minute drive, it
climbed to 120 C with no hint of stopping today.  In longer
drives, I've gotten it to climb higher - one 25 minute
drive brought it to within 5-10 degrees of redline.

So what are my possible causes?  It's mom's car, and I need
to get it fixed so she can drive it comfortably.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'80 S, 81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, 90 Passat Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '66 Cessna 150, '82 Scirocco.
"Any idiot can face a crisis.  It's this day to day living that wears you out." - Anton Chekhov