GRM post part II

Well for those of you still interested in this saga..

We last left off with our heros standing there looking dumb at a high
performance 2.0L 16v decked head, 260/272 cams, lightened flywheel,
kennedy clutch, koni yellows, street race exhaust, 14" revolutions w/ drag
radials, momo wheel, race springs,port injected nitrous  etc... and 30psi
of compression thats just a little over 2:1 for a Naturally Aspirated
motor. With the head removed.

and to top it off even if we had wanted to go our tow vehicle wasnt in any
shape to go. It needs brakes all the way around...

So after some considerable groublimg, moaning, complaining, kicking, etc.
Rick convinces me we that we can take his weekend auto-x scirocco.

So we set to work and swap out the cams from the now dead racecar to his
16v reassemble, time it, pack up, oil it up, and head out sans rear seat.
We had to add gear lube cause he has a leak in the tranny somewhere. So
the drive down is largely uneventful. We stop in a best western express
for the night. Next am we get all the way to Gainesville FL. Lifters are
getting used to moving ALOT more. power increasing as we get farther down.
Clutch starts slipping from being soaked in gear lube. This has the
potential to become a serious issue.

First things first. Check in, find a carwash -- use purple power. Needless
to say Rick is further impressed from the night before when the gear lube
spilled. (thats what we were smelling all day). engine bay cleans up
nicely. We spray the clutch down w/ purple power too in hopes of not
needing to change the clutch as we dont have any tools..... lesson
learned. Were thinking were doing well for a sub $1k car and CT is pretty
far 2 possible slots. Change to drag radials at the car wash. Always look
at the arrows BEFORE mounting drag radials or you have to do it again. Car
is clean, clutch works, drag radials on time to go check in.

Get to the parking lot early. Look about.. damn were out gunned. CRX
completely stripped and hoosier autox-ers (turbo'd too, thin CF hood).
Couple of Yugo's.. were still doing well. hmm 3 Merkur XR4Ti's, 2 V8's and
1 turbo. cruise around the lot.. damn 914 w/ a smallblock V8, ITB GTI.
Oh well
were out gunned. We then go check in, Rick volunteers and we get our #69
hmm I was born that year. Next up is a group that needs another entrance
band. Since Al and Ron couldnt show we have an extra and give it to them.
Well you know that karhma thing. Well it turns out this is one of the
potterpeeps teams. So I call Mike on Enricka's(sp) phone and let him know
that we showed up, but not in the racecar -- he takes it well. Once again
mike is the man. We drink some beers, get some grub and head out the other
hotel where were staying. Oh yeah the other team says for the drag race.
when the second yellow goes on gun it. Ive never done this before so..
thats what im gonna do.

The morning rolls around and we head out to Gainesville raceway. we empty
the car of our remaining stuff. goober around checkin out the cars. head
off to tech... largely consists of .. here sign this. you got a
helment? seatbelt.. ok here's the entrances and exit. Get prepped and
lined up. First drag. yellow light go... 16.7, excellent. go around again.
no waiting, voorm... 16.9, go around again, getting a little bit of this.

line up, burn out, stage, 1 light, 2nd light, rev motor to 4k... wait..
Red ... Yellow .. Yellow.. get it. yellow green..... all the way down the
track 16.4 hmm reaction time .7 my others were .15 i think i can get it
down. Once again around no waiting. vrrrrroooom .. redlight. damn.
>From this point i was consistant. I think the rocco could have ran a 15.9,
but I couldnt make it do it. Rick got some photo's of this, but Allyn has
already posted them and i deleted the link, but here is one of me lining
up with the other Potter sponsored
team.http://www.internetperceptions.com/rftc/grm2003/images/S4Drag4.JPG
he got a 15.7 and I got a 16.4 here i think. he had a 2.0L and we only had
a 1.8L but its all fun.

There were TWO 11 second cars there. a 280z v8 and a 4 clyn turbo Dodge
omni GTX...that was faast... we finished in the 40's but a very similar
car to the racecar did 14's 2.0L 16v multiport n2o rabbit. that is where
we should have been. not too shabby.

more to tell. next installment.
Rick tell about your autox.

Brian
88 16v $2003 GRM challenge car http://www.grmotorsports.com .. didnt quite
make it. Its like alot of vw's ....broken.
84 0v Next years car got parts?
82 2.0L Topless bunny -- Knock Ignition and bigger clutch. next.
90 90q20v doing daily driver duty.
91 VFR750F everybody needs a 11-12 sec vehicle.

Contact method. Email me for AIM, ICQ, YahooIM, IRC, etc.