16v model year differences [GEARING]

30 km/h more from a FN?  Perhaps with a turbocharged VR6.

There's a lot more to top speed than a gear ratio.  Gear Ratio is important
-- but far, far more important engine torque characteristics and aerodynamics.

Putting a FF or FN in your stock 1.8 16V will not increase top speed my 30
km/h.  You can't just assume that the engine will be able to redline in 5th
gear.  The Scirocco's top speed (even with the very short stock gearing) is
limited by resistance, not redline.

Using the torque curve from a stock 1.8 16V and an AGB transmission, we can
calculate top speed at about 195 km/h.  This would occur in 5th gear at
6100rpm.

The FN has a very different 5th gear...  Using its ratios in our
calculations, we find that top speed will actually increase to 196 km/h --
a mathematically insignificant change.  The big change, however,  will be
that this speed occurs at 5070rpm - considerably less revs than the stock
gearing.

So as you can see, gearing does effect top speed, but not nearly as
dramatically as you presumed.  What it did effect dramatically is
elasticity, or the car's ability to accelerate in 5th gear:

5th Gear Acceleration, (s)
         30-50mph        50-70mph        80-120km/h
AGB     8.76s           9.39s           11.81s
FN      12.03s          13.05s          14.58s

For any specific engine and vehicle combination, you will reach the ideal
top speed if you pick a gear where the top speed occurs at the horsepower
peak.  For a stock 16V Scirocco, using the stock final drive of 3.67:1,
this would be a 5th gear ratio of about 0.83:1 and giving 201km/h at
5700rpm.  The closest existing VW 5th gear to that would be using the
0.805, which would give a top speed of 199 km/h at 5500rpm.

For what it's worth, if you threw a VR6 in the Scirocco, you'd hit 220 km/h
as a top speed (at 5850rpm with a stock VR6 transmission).

Jason