What's the deal with the missing taillight bulbs on US roccs?

I was kinda curious about this as well back when I did the same mod you
mentioned.  I figured that at the time of production the US only
required one running light in the rear.  I think the euro cars had to
have two since maybe the mass ammounts of fog/misting rain the get
creates  more of a need for visibility.

Aside from just cutting the block off and shoving a bulb in there, I
think you can also run a jumper wire from the main braking light
terminal so that you get an extra brake light as well.  I think I have
seen that posted somewhere (maybe on patrics or shannons website).

William