eek! someone please help!

--part1_134.1dd50094.2bc0a07f_boundary

I had this happen in my 86 a few years back.  Clutch pedal went down to the
floor.  Thought maybe the clutch cable was broken or "stretched".  Replaced
the cable and it still didn't work.  I checked where the cable went through
the firewall to see if it had broken through, but that was OK also.  I was
all set to do a clutch install thinking that the center had punched out of
the release plate.  Turned out to be the "finger" that is splined onto the
shaft that attaches to the end of the cable.  It's shaped kind of like a "9"
and you can see it in the Bentley under the transmission end cap/release
bearing diagram.  It broke on the back side where you couldn't see it when
you pulled off the green endcap of the transmission.  Didn't see it till I
pulled the release shaft out.  I had the same thing happen on my 84 Jetta and
that turned out to be the release arm that the cable attaches to.  The
splined part of the lever had broken the weld off of the shaft and was
"slipping".

Tom in Tucson
88 16 V Scirocco  80 Scirocco S  80 Scirocco  79 Scirocco  76 Scirocco FSP
Project
 The Slowest, Rustiest, Crappiest and worst looking scirocco(s) in all of
Tucson!
www.area-53.com
Armor Door Plates - $42.95 shipped to the lower 48

--part1_134.1dd50094.2bc0a07f_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#ffffff"><FONT  style=
=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2>I had this happen in my 86 a few yea=
rs back.&nbsp; Clutch pedal went down to the floor.&nbsp; Thought maybe the=20=
clutch cable was broken or "stretched".&nbsp; Replaced the cable and it stil=
l didn't work.&nbsp; I checked where the cable went through the firewall to=20=
see if it had broken through, but that was OK also.&nbsp; I was all set to d=
o a clutch install thinking that the center had punched out of the release p=
late.&nbsp; Turned out to be the "finger" that is splined onto the shaft tha=
t attaches to the end of the cable.&nbsp; It's shaped kind of like a "9" and=
 you can see it in the Bentley under the transmission end cap/release bearin=
g diagram.&nbsp; It broke on the back side where you couldn't see it when yo=
u pulled off the green endcap of the transmission.&nbsp; Didn't see it till=20=
I pulled the release shaft out.&nbsp; I had the same thing happen on my 84 J=
etta and that turned out to be the release arm that the cable attaches to.&n=
bsp; The splined part of the lever had broken the weld off of the shaft and=20=
was "slipping".<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Tom in Tucson<BR>
88 16 V Scirocco&nbsp; 80 Scirocco S&nbsp; 80 Scirocco&nbsp; 79 Scirocco&nbs=
p; 76 Scirocco FSP Project<BR>
 The Slowest, Rustiest, Crappiest and worst looking scirocco(s) in all of Tu=
cson!<BR>
www.area-53.com<BR>
Armor Door Plates - $42.95 shipped to the lower 48</FONT></HTML>

--part1_134.1dd50094.2bc0a07f_boundary--