try #2: alarm recommendations?

Clifford... Best you can buy!

DEI bought up most of the major alarm companies including Viper, Hornet,
Derringer, etc. and for the most part all these alarms are basically the
same, good but not great. They are however affordable and better than no
alarm at all. DEI also bought up Clifford when they fell on bad times but
instead of doing the same thing they did with the other companies, same
designs and low cost PCB's they left Clifford alone to design high end
systems.

Not cheap but really the best. I've had in my Scirocco's a Clifford 2
(keypad alarm), Clifford ACE (Pre-AvantGaurd) with SmartWindows II module.
I now have a new Clifford in my car... Not cheap but the best if money is
no object (or your overly paranoid and don't want ANYONE violating your
beloved car) .

They do make lower cost models which are very good too... Concept and
Matrix series are priced around the same as Viper.

-Raffi