Transaxle rebuild questions

--0-1503263842-1049409927=:36950

I can answer this one, yay for me.
Take an old leather belt and rotate in the gears, it will cause the gears to bind and not damage the gears themselves. And then remove the 12point, I have done this twice with great success.
Brian
 Ray Dowling <RayD@amfirst.org> wrote:
Ok, so I'm an idiot... Setting out to rebuild my first transaxle, I took off the nose cone and promptly pulled out the selector rod. I realized my mistake pretty quickly but thought that it wouldn't be too big of a deal since I was disassembling the tranny completely anyway... Of course, I was wrong. With the selector rod missing, the levers (I'm sure they have a name) that the selector shaft operates against are loose and I can't engage 5th and reverse at the same to lock the tranny and allow me to remove the 12 point bolt on fifth gear. Anyone have any tips on the situation? I'm considering lubing up the 5th gears really well and pressing a wad of JB-Weld in between them. As the theory goes, it'll mold to the teeth of the gears and when it's hardened I can just turn the ol' 12-point, the gears will pull inward on it instead of turning and I'll be able to break the bolt loose without damaging the teeth. Anyone see any reason this wouldn't work? Anyone have any more obvious solutions? Thanks for any input.

Ray - '88 Cabriolet 16V
'90 Corrado G60
'99 Jetta IV