16v timing belt difficulties

not exactly sure what you're describing, but... the crankshaft turns twice
for every 1 turn of the camshaft. sounds to me like though your piston was
tdc, it was at the top of the exhaust stroke and not the power stroke when
you removed the belt(or is it vice versa?). if you haven't removed the belt
yet (this is what it sounds like?), turn the crank once more and everything
should line up. if you've already taken the belt off and turned things or
whatever, take the belt off when none of the pistons are tdc, turn the cam
shaft till the marks line up, line up the crank by checking the
pulley/piston at tdc and the mark on the pressure plate, then put the belt
back on. hth,

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA-->Soon to be New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...