  From: Robbie Cotner=20
  To: Benjamin Harder=20
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 1:30 AM
  Subject: Re: Update: My 2.0 16v Engine Saga

  Sorry man!  Seems like you're taking it pretty well though.  Anyway, =
stupid question...  I've rebuilt two engines and have been into cars for =
years now, but I still don't exactly know what a spun rod bearing is?=20

  -Rob=20

   Benjamin Harder <vwtype53@yahoo.com> wrote:=20

    Well, things have gone from bad to worse for my first engine =
rebuild...

    During the engine break-in driving session I began to notice a =
knocking sound
    that was occuring above 3k rpm. The sound progressively got worse as =
    drove. Once the car was home, I dropped the oil pan and turned the =
crank
    over by hand only to discover the worst possible problem...
    The #3 rod bearing had spun. And what makes this story even more =
interesting
    is that this is the same rod bearing that had spun on this engine =
when I
    bought the engine from the junkyard... the machine shop resized the =
rod
    and the crank was re-ground. All bearing clearances were PlastiGage =
checked
    and the engine was assembled... only for that same rod bearing to =
spin again!

    My BIG suspicion at this point is that the machine shop did not =
properly
    resize the rod. They may have not resized the locating gr! oove for =
the bearing,
    which may have put the bearing clearance out of tolerance at that
    point on the bearing... just not at the point where I checked it...

    The sad realization here is that the engine that I spent all Winter =
building
    is now dead... but not for long of corse...

    Today Josh Conner and myself located a parts 2.0 block which had a =
decent
    crank and rods in place. My plan is to use this new crank and rods =
and install
    them into my "good" block. I also plan to use my "good" pistons =
which have
    new rings that are still breaking in...=20
    I will use the main bearing caps from my good block, and again check =
all
    my clearances. Just this time I will have a factory crank and rods =
that
    have never spun or been touched by a shop... which will hopefully =
give
    me a running engine again soon.

    Tonight I already have removed the engine from my mk1... by =
myself... which
    isn't all that fun. Now comes the complete dissasembly of the bl! =
ock
    one more time to install the new crank and rods.

    The onl y issue that I may face would be possible wrist pin =
clearance
    mating my good pistons to these used rods... besides obvious play, =
should
    I be concerned doing this?

    With new parts on the way, I am hopeful to have the engine together =
again
    by the weekend... and possibly install it one more time into my car =
by
    next week.

    Of all possible engine problems, this has to be the extreme worst. =
When
    a crank is ruined, the engine simply must come out of the car...
    what a day!

    Well, I suppose I'd better get some more work done before I call it =
    night tonight... I mean, it's only 1am now... hehe

    Hope everyone else has had a better weekend and week so far!

    But no worries... my hopes are high that I will be on the road again =
soon!

    =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
    Benjamin Harder
    86 Scirocco 16v
    80 Scirocco 16v (2.0 is being rebuilt *again*)
    93 Passat GLX

    http://www.geocities.com/vwtype53/

------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C2F8BA.18B907A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>bearing rotates within rod instead of =
crank=20
rotating within bearing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Al</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Drobw_z@yahoo.com href=3D"mailto:robw_z@yahoo.com";>Robbie =
Cotner</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dvwtype53@yahoo.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:vwtype53@yahoo.com";>Benjamin Harder</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Cc:</B> <A =
title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, April 02, 2003 =
1:30=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: Update: My 2.0 16v =
Engine=20
  Saga</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>Sorry man!&nbsp; Seems like you're taking it pretty well =
though.&nbsp;=20
  Anyway, stupid question...&nbsp; I've rebuilt two engines and have =
been into=20
  cars for years now, but I still don't exactly know what a spun rod =
bearing is?=20

  <P>-Rob=20
  <P>&nbsp;<B><I>Benjamin Harder &lt;<A=20
  href=3D"mailto:vwtype53@yahoo.com";>vwtype53@yahoo.com</A>&gt;</I></B> =
wrote:=20
  <BLOCKQUOTE=20
  style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px =
solid">Well,=20
    things have gone from bad to worse for my first engine=20
    rebuild...<BR><BR>During the engine break-in driving session I began =
to=20
    notice a knocking sound<BR>that was occuring above 3k rpm. The sound =

    progressively got worse as I<BR>drove. Once the car was home, I =
dropped the=20
    oil pan and turned the crank<BR>over by hand only to discover the =
worst=20
    possible problem...<BR>The #3 rod bearing had spun. And what makes =
this=20
    story even more interesting<BR>is that this is the same rod bearing =
that had=20
    spun on this engine when I<BR>bought the engine from the junkyard... =
the=20
    machine shop resized the rod<BR>and the crank was re-ground. All =
bearing=20
    clearances were PlastiGage checked<BR>and the engine was =
assembled... only=20
    for that same rod bearing to spin again!<BR><BR>My BIG suspicion at =
this=20
    point is that the machine shop did not properly<BR>resize the rod. =
They may=20
    have not resized the locating gr! oove for the bearing,<BR>which may =
have=20
    put the bearing clearance out of tolerance at that<BR>point on the=20
    bearing... just not at the point where I checked it...<BR><BR>The =
sad=20
    realization here is that the engine that I spent all Winter =
building<BR>is=20
    now dead... but not for long of corse...<BR><BR>Today Josh Conner =
and myself=20
    located a parts 2.0 block which had a decent<BR>crank and rods in =
place. My=20
    plan is to use this new crank and rods and install<BR>them into my =
"good"=20
    block. I also plan to use my "good" pistons which have<BR>new rings =
that are=20
    still breaking in... <BR>I will use the main bearing caps from my =
good=20
    block, and again check all<BR>my clearances. Just this time I will =
have a=20
    factory crank and rods that<BR>have never spun or been touched by a =
shop...=20
    which will hopefully give<BR>me a running engine again =
soon.<BR><BR>Tonight=20
    I already have removed the engine from my mk1... by myself... =
which<BR>isn't=20
    all that fun. Now comes the complete dissasembly of the bl! =
ock<BR>one more=20
    time to install the new crank and rods.<BR><BR>The onl y issue that =
I may=20
    face would be possible wrist pin clearance<BR>mating my good pistons =
to=20
    these used rods... besides obvious play, should<BR>I be concerned =
doing=20
    this?<BR><BR>With new parts on the way, I am hopeful to have the =
engine=20
    together again<BR>by the weekend... and possibly install it one more =
time=20
    into my car by<BR>next week.<BR><BR>Of all possible engine problems, =
this=20
    has to be the extreme worst. When<BR>a crank is ruined, the engine =
simply=20
    must come out of the car...<BR>what a day!<BR><BR>Well, I suppose =
I'd better=20
    get some more work done before I call it a<BR>night tonight... I =
mean, it's=20
    only 1am now... hehe<BR><BR>Hope everyone else has had a better =
weekend and=20
    week so far!<BR><BR>But no worries... my hopes are high that I will =
be on=20
    the road again soon!<BR><BR><BR>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D<BR>Benjamin =
Harder<BR>86 Scirocco=20
    16v<BR>80 Scirocco 16v (2.0 is being rebuilt *again*)<BR>93 Passat=20
    =
GLX<BR><BR>http://www.geocities.com/vwtype53/<BR><BR>____________________=