Car only runs in START, not RUN - H e l p !

Thought I had this problem solved by swapping out the ignition switch
(tried both the electrical, and the mechanical parts), but after a week
it's back...

When I go to start it as soon as the key is released to the run
position the tach takes an immediate dive (faster than the revs die),
and the car dies.  If I hold the key in the start position it'll rev up
- but it takes the starter for a ride...

The problem used to be spotty.  When it died (while driving, or
starting it) I would pull over, and it would start after a couple of
tries.  But today, it took forever to get started, and once it died
about 5 minutes later, I couldn't get it to start again.   Swapped the
ignition switch parts again with the other car, and no improvement...

Any ideas?  Oh ya, it's an 80 with switched fuel pump on/off relay
bypass

Thanks!

Mark.