8v Distributor woes...

> okay started getting organized to do my hybrid 3a/jh
> engine, and I am looking at the 3a distributor and I was
>
> no I cannot use the 3a distro, top parrt of it was
> damaged from yard hacking (someone tried to pull the
> distro off the head without proper tools)

JUST getting started!?!?!?!  What have you been doing the past few
months??? ;)

Kervin posted the TT link for the distributor adaptor you'll need.
Sorry, that one I won't be making - just the blockoff plate.
Because...

My opinion, based on my swap and reading others experiences, is you
should spend the $$$ and get the 3A distributor and add the knock
sensor.   If your damaged 3A distributor is good enough to trade in as
a core, your only talking about $60 more than the adapter ring.  The
hardest part would be tracking down a knock sensor setup.  You can run
the 3A distributor without the knock sensor until you find one -
you'll just lack full power without timing advance.  I did that for
two months.

I run 9 or 10 degrees advance with 92/93 octance gas and get some rare
knock under certain conditions (hot weather; full throttle in wrong
gear).  I'm enjoying the car too much right now to try lower octane or
retard the timing. With cooler weather setting in, I can probably
advance the timing further without any problems.

While I think the "3A dist with KS" is the best route to go, I would
like to see you use the "JH dist no KS" just to hear your experience.
The adaptor ring should be $36.50 shipped, so you really have nothing
to loose by trying it.

Reminder:  Be sure to adjust your fuel mixture after the swap!
Running lean will cause hot running (among other problems).

For those new to the 3A swap/ks discussion:
http://3aswap.driversfound.com
http://knocksensor.driversfound.com

Greg :) 1985 Scirocco 2.0L 8V
http://www.DriversFound.com