How much damage will this really do?

The other thing you want to watch out for is the strut not following the
straight up and down track.  Before I changed the strut in mine, the
drivers side was wearing an oblong hole where the rod slides into the
cartridge.  That could damage something if it goes too far.  And it sounds
really bad when you hits bumps.