What would you do? (long)

that is a tuffy. i'd say replace/repair/refund(if possible) the tranny
unless you're absolutly sure the hole wasn't there when you gave it to him.
hell, sometimes even if you're positive he created the damage it's alot
easier (for lack of a better word) to replace it if possible. your "good
name" is alot more valuable then a 9a tranny! good luck, and if you need
help finding somekind of replacement lmk, i'm pretty sure i have a decent 9a
lying around here somewhere.
  hit