heater fan gremlin so screwy it's funny-

--0-1663765412-1033007971=:74699

Hey all, I need heat before winter comes!!  Here's the predicament with my '83 8v:  Heater fan worked fine(well, 3 of the 4 speeds, the highest didn't work I think because of the switch) until I swapped in a rebuilt engine.  Now for the past few months it hasn't worked, I'd turn the switch, hear a click from the fuse box area(I think that's the area) and other than that nothing.  Today I was doing some troubleshooting on it:  There IS voltage on the fan switch positive terminal to every individual speed, so it's not the switch.  Now here's the funky part:  I noticed that the first three speeds would make a VERY quiet fan sound(highest one still didn't work, due to the switch I think).  I popped the hood to look up the fresh air intake thingy and see how fast the blower was moving, since I assumed that was the sound-  but upon opening the hood I found that the noise is the radiator fan!!!  So whenever I turn on my heater fan to any speed, the radiator fan runs, and NOT the heater fan.  WHAT!?  I haven't had any probs with the rad fan, it turns on when it's supposed to, but I thought the only thing that could turn it on was the thermo time switch.  I looked in my Bentley and through the wiring diagram could find no connection between the two fans, but I'm not too good at reading those things either.  Please help!  Thanks in advance-

Rob