[ot] how do you go through your inbox ???

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Marko Latrell wrote:

> Given the number of messages on this list, I was wondering how ppl sift
> through all of them. I look at the subjct line and if it looks interesting
> and isn't too technical, I'll read it. I wonder if anyone reads them all,
> since there are so many. So how do you pick and choose what you read ?

My technique is pretty simple.  First and foremost, I check all my mail from
a shell account using Pine -- it's immune to shoddy HTML, attachment
viruses, stupid colors, and huge pictures or other attachments.  I use
procmail to sort all my list mail into a separate folder (don't ask me how;
it's voodoo magic set up by a friend).

>From there it's a simple trick to check mail at work every day, which keeps
the volume down (was sick for two weeks and had to sort through 2000
messages.. whee!).  I just hold down "D" until something interesting catches
my eye in the subject line, then undelete if it's something worth keeping.
Topics of interest of course vary from person to person; I watch for
lighting upgrades and solutions for various niggling things on my car.

Simple, but effective.  Especially since I have to sort through Scirocco
messages and Vanagon messages (and t'other list is even more active than
this one.)

ian Butler / ian@hplx.net
'88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Syncro GL