How much damage will this really do?

You'll get some unusual tire wear, called cupping, and if left unattended it
will eventually cause a separated tire.  but it takes a while.  Don't drive
to hard on it for a long period of time or you will notice the paint
starting to crack at the top ring of your strut towers inside the engine
bay.

-Brando