Bad Automotive Times in Sacramento

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C26418.881586A0

Those Damn Honda drivers!  Arrrrgghhh.

----- Original Message -----
From: Ken Weidmann
Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 6:11 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Bad Automotive Times in Sacramento

Hey guys,
  Just to tell you how my automotive week has been going and to find out =
if
there is a good body shop around that deals with custom stuff, i.e. molde=
d body
kits and graphics (you can see where my week is going)
   so early last week, I'm leaving school and in front of Sacramento City
college, some guy in a Honda Civic hatchback who isn't paying attention r=
uns
into the back of the rocco.  No major body damage, but a scrape right in =
the
middle of the bumper.  I get 2 body shop estimates, $369 and $374 to resh=
oot
the bumper.  I'm supposed to get cash from him in 2 weeks.
   Today I go to leave for school.  I'm driving the rocco past the jetta =
and
think to myself that the sprinklers are getting pretty bad since they are=
 now
spraying on the drivers side of my car (which is parked on the street).  =
I go
to pass my Jetta GLX and find that the drivers front window is shattered =
and
missing a few pieces.  Luckily, they didn't mess with anything or even ge=
inside the car.  Go back home, get the jetta keys and the garage door ope=
ner
and park it in the garage.  It's been 6 weeks since I moved here and AT&T=
 still
hasn't seen fit to deliver a phone book to me.  I'll just stop by some of=
 the
glass shops that must be on Franklin by all the body shops and mechanics =
shops
and see how much a new door glass with install is.
   As I'm passing on the south side of the city college, some guy in a gr=
een
honda accord comes out of the school parking lot and immediately goes fro=
m the
yield/merge lane across the slow traffic lane and into my lane near the c=
enter
island.  I slam on the brakes and lock up the brakes on the painted
instructions on the street while steering towards the island.  I hear his
drivers side running all the way down my passenger side as I feel the lef=
front wheel hit the island.
  I get off the road and pull into the JC expecting the worst.  I see tha=
t about
1/4 of the way around my front left wheel, I have totally flatened it and
rubbed off probably 1/8 of an inch of the lip on the Hock's.  I walk arou=
nd to
the other side of the car and surprisingly, the fender is the only thing =
that
has obvious damage.  the damage is:  Scraped front bumper, scraped and
semi-gouged front fender flare, scraped front right wheel, damage right o=
n the
1/4 panel and door joint and of course it is where the white/silver/blue
pinstripes meet, and scraped rear flare.  The front and rear flares have
cracked off of the body where they were molded, I need an alignment and t=
he 2
front wheels have major issues now.  They are the TSW Hockenheims, not th=
e Hock
R's, so these aren't in production any more.
  I went to Lee's restoration off 47th and he gave me an estimate of $230=
repair the damage, not including alignment or wheels.  I may just get the=
 whole
car repainted in Alpine white and bail on the graphics though, so he quot=
ed me
about $3000 to repaint the whole car white.  I'd like to get some estimat=
es
probably next week so that I can figure out what I'm going to do about it=
,
either fix, totaly repair, or just collect the money and drive it.
I finally did find a shop to do the glass.  2 places quoted $185 with ins=
tall. =20
1 place quoted $110.  Guess who is coming to school tomorrow to do the
install??
  Needless to say, it hasn't been a great automotive week, and I have a t=
on of
school work and assigments to do for the rest of the week, so this is stu=
ff I
didn't need right now.
  Stopped by the wagen shop last friday.  Seems like a nice guy, but book=
ed for
almost 2 weeks in advance and a good 35-40 minute drive from me.  I'll ke=
ep him
in mind when I do need some service though.
thanks and sorry to ramble
Ken

Ken Weidmann Jr.  Checkered Flag Automotive
916-424-2197
1995 Jetta GLX M3 Wannabe
1985 Show-rocco
1957 Porsche 356 A (1st family/2nd owner)#100119

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C26418.881586A0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Those Damn Hon=
da drivers!&nbsp; Arrrrgghhh.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D=
"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PAD=
DING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----=
- Original Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; COLOR: =
black; FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>From:</B> Ken Weidmann</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FO=
NT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Tuesday, September 24, 2002 6:11 PM</DIV> <D=
IV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> scirocco-l@scirocco.org</DIV> <D=
IV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> Bad Automotive Times in Sac=
ramento</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>Hey guys,<BR>&nbsp; Just to tell you how m=
y automotive week has been going and to find out if<BR>there is a good bo=
dy shop around that deals with custom stuff, i.e. molded body<BR>kits and=
 graphics (you can see where my week is going)<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; so early l=
ast week, I'm leaving school and in front of Sacramento City<BR>college, =
some guy in a Honda Civic hatchback who isn't paying attention runs<BR>in=
to the back of the rocco.&nbsp; No major body damage, but a scrape right =
in the<BR>middle of the bumper.&nbsp; I get 2 body shop estimates, $369 a=
nd $374 to reshoot<BR>the bumper.&nbsp; I'm supposed to get cash from him=
 in 2 weeks.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Today I go to leave for school.&nbsp; I'm dr=
iving the rocco past the jetta and<BR>think to myself that the sprinklers=
 are getting pretty bad since they are now<BR>spraying on the drivers sid=
e of my car (which is parked on the street).&nbsp; I go<BR>to pass my Jet=
ta GLX and find that the drivers front window is shattered and<BR>missing=
 a few pieces.&nbsp; Luckily, they didn't mess with anything or even get<=
BR>inside the car.&nbsp; Go back home, get the jetta keys and the garage =
door opener<BR>and park it in the garage.&nbsp; It's been 6 weeks since I=
 moved here and AT&amp;T still<BR>hasn't seen fit to deliver a phone book=
 to me.&nbsp; I'll just stop by some of the<BR>glass shops that must be o=
n Franklin by all the body shops and mechanics shops<BR>and see how much =
a new door glass with install is.<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; As I'm passing on the s=
outh side of the city college, some guy in a green<BR>honda accord comes =
out of the school parking lot and immediately goes from the<BR>yield/merg=
e lane across the slow traffic lane and into my lane near the center<BR>i=
sland.&nbsp; I slam on the brakes and lock up the brakes on the painted<B=
R>instructions on the street while steering towards the island.&nbsp; I h=
ear his<BR>drivers side running all the way down my passenger side as I f=
eel the left<BR>front wheel hit the island.<BR>&nbsp; I get off the road =
and pull into the JC expecting the worst.&nbsp; I see that about<BR>1/4 o=
f the way around my front left wheel, I have totally flatened it and<BR>r=
ubbed off probably 1/8 of an inch of the lip on the Hock's.&nbsp; I walk =
around to<BR>the other side of the car and surprisingly, the fender is th=
e only thing that<BR>has obvious damage.&nbsp; the damage is:&nbsp; Scrap=
ed front bumper, scraped and<BR>semi-gouged front fender flare, scraped f=
ront right wheel, damage right on the<BR>1/4 panel and door joint and of =
course it is where the white/silver/blue<BR>pinstripes meet, and scraped =
rear flare.&nbsp; The front and rear flares have<BR>cracked off of the bo=
dy where they were molded, I need an alignment and the 2<BR>front wheels =
have major issues now.&nbsp; They are the TSW Hockenheims, not the Hock<B=
R>R's, so these aren't in production any more.<BR>&nbsp; I went to Lee's =
restoration off 47th and he gave me an estimate of $2300 to<BR>repair the=
 damage, not including alignment or wheels.&nbsp; I may just get the whol=
e<BR>car repainted in Alpine white and bail on the graphics though, so he=
 quoted me<BR>about $3000 to repaint the whole car white.&nbsp; I'd like =
to get some estimates<BR>probably next week so that I can figure out what=
 I'm going to do about it,<BR>either fix, totaly repair, or just collect =
the money and drive it.<BR>I finally did find a shop to do the glass.&nbs=
p; 2 places quoted $185 with install. <BR>1 place quoted $110.&nbsp; Gues=
s who is coming to school tomorrow to do the<BR>install??<BR>&nbsp; Needl=
ess to say, it hasn't been a great automotive week, and I have a ton of<B=
R>school work and assigments to do for the rest of the week, so this is s=
tuff I<BR>didn't need right now.<BR>&nbsp; Stopped by the wagen shop last=
 friday.&nbsp; Seems like a nice guy, but booked for<BR>almost 2 weeks in=
 advance and a good 35-40 minute drive from me.&nbsp; I'll keep him<BR>in=
 mind when I do need some service though.<BR>thanks and sorry to ramble<B=
R>Ken<BR><BR><BR><BR>Ken Weidmann Jr.&nbsp; Checkered Flag Automotive<BR>=
916-424-2197<BR>1995 Jetta GLX M3 Wannabe<BR>1985 Show-rocco<BR>1957 Pors=
che 356 A (1st family/2nd owner)#100119<BR><BR><BR>______________________=