How to: fix intercam timing.

OK guys, as recommended by many, I'm going to check my cam to cam timing whenever I get the needed replacement gaskets.  If the timing between them is off, how do I go about fixing it?  Does the chain somehow unsnap?  Or do I have to remove the camshaft bearing caps/distributor/timing belt and actually remove the whole assembly?  I'm not a mechanic, but I do all the work on my car myself, so any detailed explanations would be appreciated.  Thanks again.