Could my cam timing still be off?

At 01:56 PM 9/21/2002, Ryan H wrote:
>I just checked compression today (16v) - about 160 psi across all 4 which
>seems pretty good to me.  Is it still possible that my intercam timing may
>be off?  Reason I ask is because I thought that if the cam timing is off,
>the compression would be down from valves being a tiny bit open on the
>compression stroke.

Yes, that can definitely be the case.
My compression dropped from 205 to 160 with the cams 9' advanced.

>Other symptoms include low power, although it doesn't seem lumpy at idle
>like everyone says it is when there inter-cam timing is off.

My motor is a 2.0 9A with a 1.8 16V head and a Schrick 260 intake cam.  I
drove the car with the intake cam advanced one chain tooth for about 3,000
miles.  It ran perfectly -- from idle to 7200rpm... it just wasn't
fast.  It was still faster than a 1.8 16V, as I was about the same speed as
Ben Harder's slightly modded 1.8 16V.    But it ran strong from idle to
redline.  If it didn't, I surely would have noticed the problem long before
that! :)

>Also, compression would keep building when I cranked the motor - I stopped
>when it got to 210 psi (got scared), but 160 was what I recorded with the
>recommended 4-5 turn-overs as per Bentley.  Is this normal?

It will keep climbing, that's normal... but not necessary to test.  Just
crank it 4-5 times like the Bentley says.  I do mine always with all 4
plugs removed and at full throttle.  Tested properly, you should be seeing
closer to 200psi -- I think something's up as 160 seems a little too
low.  Take a look at that timing, I bet you're off some.

HTH
Jason