Getting the nut off the hub

May be a bit late but....

Get a breaker bar, a shortish extension, and a jackstand.

Set the jasckstand, using shims of your own invention as required, to
support the far end of the extension/knuckle end of the breaker bar.
This prevents torque from twisting the setup and breaking something,
although that still may happen.

Now, set the brake and put it into gear.

Go get a 4' or 5' pipe.  Maybe even go to the hardware store and get
some iron plumbing pipe.

The rest is obvious.  It'll come off.  The Liquid Wrench is just a joke
to one of these.

HTH

Ron
--- Cathy Boyko <losinit@usa.net> wrote:
> This is the Jetta again, sorry, but it looks identical to the
> Scirocco's, so
> we can pretend, can't we?
>
> Anyway, my son soaked said nut with penetrating fluid, and used the
> big long
> pipe for leverage, and still can't crack this nut to get the axle
> off, it just
> won't move. Lefty loosey, correct? He tried heat from one of those
> small
> torches, but what other ideas do you folks have? (I think my
> brother's cutting
> torch is next) We don't have air tools, and the car is pretty
> immobile as it
> stands. I guess he broke some bits trying to drill/grind it off, it
> must be
> very hard. He had it off about a year ago, so it can't be totally
> rust welded?
> Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Cathy, for my son

=====