From: "Cathy Boyko" <losinit@usa.net>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 7:54 PM
Subject: Getting the nut off the hub

This is the Jetta again, sorry, but it looks identical to the Scirocco's, so
we can pretend, can't we?

Anyway, my son soaked said nut with penetrating fluid, and used the big long
pipe for leverage, and still can't crack this nut to get the axle off, it just
won't move. Lefty loosey, correct? He tried heat from one of those small
torches, but what other ideas do you folks have? (I think my brother's cutting
torch is next) We don't have air tools, and the car is pretty immobile as it
stands. I guess he broke some bits trying to drill/grind it off, it must be
very hard. He had it off about a year ago, so it can't be totally rust welded?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Cathy, for my son