erratic running

<P>Thank you very much! i finally got around to checking the grounds and i discovered that the ground strap from the body to the valve cover was hardly recognizable as a wire and was not even connected to the valve cover!&nbsp; i also replaced the battery cable as the majority of it had no insulation.&nbsp; after i fixed it and took it for a drive though, it did buck a couple times but after a few miles it didn't do it again. any explanation for this? thanks again!</P>
<P>James<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Brian Wagner" <SCIROCCO_88_16V@HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: "jim b" <JIMBW1@HOTMAIL.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: Re: erratic running
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:11:44 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Ok you said it was ok with everything off, that means is was not right when everything is on.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;1) With all electrical accessories on you should have 13.3v or greater. 13.3v needed to charge battery
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 1a) if it holds at say less than 13.3v and stays constant replace regulator or clean gounds to the chassis and engine (this is the primary ground from the negative post of the battery)
<DIV></DIV>&gt; 1b) if it continues to drop the windings are bad in the alt and it will need to be replaced.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;2) the erractic idle may be cause by the bad system grounds, check the ground strap for the coil bolt to the valve cover.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;And here is a trick I just remembered for checking your ground connections, take a set of jumper cables and attach only the negative cable to the battery. The take the free end of the negative and find a good grounding point on the block and attach it. Turn off the car and restart and the check the voltage at the battery, if it has improved and stablized your ground circuit needs to be cleaned and many cases the ground wire from the battery to chassis and from the chassis to the block may need to be replaced.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Call me if you want to talk more about this 214-770-9160 cel or 817-468-1291
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I'll be more than glad to help
<DIV></DIV>&gt; ----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>&gt; From: jim b
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To: scirocco_88_16v@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 3:13 PM
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subject: Re: erratic running
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; I did the test of the charging system per the bentley and it was within the range when i first connected the voltmeter to the battery and stayed within range when i turned electrical stuff on. I tried driving it again and found that the problem was not as bad, it seems to get worse the more you drive it and i hadn't driven it in a few days. also i noticed the idle was a bit lower than normal and it would drop slightly and the car would get "shaky" periodically. It would do it immediately if i turned anything electrical on. i also tested the battery, it's good too. Help!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; James
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;From: "Brian Wagner"
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;To: "jim b" ,
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Subject: Re: erratic running
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:56:32 -0700
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Go here http://www.geocities.com/scirocco_88_16v/vrtech this is my one and
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;only Tech Tip
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Test voltage at the battery first with the car running and all electrical
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;accessories on you should se a voltage no lower than 13.3V. If it drops
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;below that the battery is not charging. If it drops to say 12.6 and holds
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;the regulator has gone bad, and if it continues dropping the longer it runs
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;then you need to rplace the alternator becasue the windings are breaking
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;down.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Also clean all your grounding point and add some more.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;HTH
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Brian
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;From: "jim b"
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;To:
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 6:52 PM
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Subject: erratic running
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; I've posted this problem before, and said that when i charged the battery
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;it
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; fixed the problem, but now it is back, perhaps charging the battery was
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;just
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; a fluke. It seems like the car is not getting gas and won't accelerate
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;but
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; then suddenly it will but very erraticly. I couldn't even get the car up
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;to
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; highway speed and barely got it off the road. If i stop giving the car
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;gas,
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; it will stop running. I can start it but it will stop running after a few
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; seconds. It seems to be either ignition or fuel problem. Does anyone have
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; any insight into what this could be? tia.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; James
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; _________________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; http://www.hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; Scirocco-l mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt; Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Scirocco-l mailing list
<DIV></DIV>&gt; &gt;Scirocco-l@scirocco.org