From: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Shawn c Meze
Sent: September 19, 2002 12:00 AM
To: rapieper@yahoo.com
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: 16V valves not resurfaceable???

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:20:34 -0700 (PDT) Ron Pieper <rapieper@yahoo.com>
writes:
> intake valves be resurfaced."  Say WHAT?  Anyone ever heard of this
> ca-ca?  More importantly, who's done a 16V head, had the valves=20
> ground,
> and had any problems with it??  (yes I know the exhaust valves are
> sodium filled, the machinist I use knows that and hasn't commented=20
> on any problems).
>=20
> Say it isn't so...

Just had this conversation with MY machinist today actually. DAS BOOK
sez
to toss em. Err, uh. It says to cut the stems and drop them in a bucket
of water. Wait for the bubbling to stop and THEM toss em.=20

So I tell my machinist to check the head and let me know what shape the
valves are in. Im expecting to order a full set of valves and guides. So
he calls me and says the valves are fine, just need to resurface them. I
say "whoa der padnah. Deez valves is soduim filled, you kaint cut em"!!=20

he says, "yo stupid, the valve STEMS are soduim filled, not the part
where we cut them, stoohpid".=20

OK, so the book says to not reuse them. I wanna know WHY before I build
this almost 8v killer 2.0L 16v motor. WHY?? 16 valves are a big addition
to this motor build projects output on the funds. If I can reuse them
without worries then I will. Just wanna why why. Should be simple, no?

Shawn M=E9ze
86' Jetta GLi 8V   88' Corvette -SS- #30  2001 SDR Solo2 Champion
Scirocco" 84' Scirocco 8V 82' Scirocco RIP 80' Scirocco S 79' "Project
FSP
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco(s) in all of
San Diego!