  From: Robbie Cotner
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 1:13 AM
  Subject: Help- how fast should carbon build up, and why do I have ugly internals!?

  Hey all, please help! I just pulled the head from my '84 8v so I can drill out a broken exhaust stud.  I completely rebuilt the motor(at 170k) about 4 months ago, it now has just over 6,000 miles.  Anyway, when I rebuilt it I meticulously got rid of every carbon deposit, the pistons were perfectly clean(even kinda polished), as well as the cylinder head bowl, and the valves.  Now after 6k I expected to see a little black, but EVERYTHING has a rather thick, crusty black coating.  The valves actually don't look too bad, but everything else is coated in black, after only 6k!!  I'm not burning oil am I!?  I replaced the rings during the rebuild ofcourse(they were from JCwhitney though, so not sure of quality).  I had an avg of 155 psi in all cylinders about 10 miles after the rebuild, haven't checked it since.  I have NEVER seen smoke come out the exhaust pipe, neither have any of my friends.  My valve cover has been leaking quite a bit since the rebuild

  -Rob

--Boundary_(ID_Tu7K3rTzMN9lfXBIhSFyXw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>hrm, something isnt tuned properly and you arent
fully burning your fuel.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>or...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>you havent opened it up at all (as in gas pedal to
floor) to blow out those deposits.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>or...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>you are in fact burning some oil.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>valve cover shouldnt be an issue.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Al</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A title=robw_z@yahoo.com href="mailto:robw_z@yahoo.com";>Robbie Cotner</A>
  </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  href="mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org";>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, September 19, 2002 1:13
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Help- how fast should carbon
  build up, and why do I have ugly internals!?</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>Hey all, please help!&nbsp;I just pulled the head from my '84 8v so I can
  drill out a broken exhaust stud.&nbsp; I completely rebuilt the motor(at 170k)
  about 4 months ago, it now has just over 6,000 miles.&nbsp; Anyway, when I
  rebuilt it I meticulously got rid of every carbon deposit, the pistons were
  perfectly clean(even kinda polished), as well as the cylinder head bowl, and
  the valves.&nbsp; Now after 6k I expected to see a little black, but
  EVERYTHING has a rather thick, crusty black coating.&nbsp; The valves actually
  don't look too bad, but everything else is coated in black, after only
  6k!!&nbsp; I'm not burning oil am I!?&nbsp; I replaced the rings during the
  rebuild ofcourse(they were from JCwhitney though, so not sure of
  quality).&nbsp; I had an avg of 155 psi in all cylinders about 10 miles after
  the rebuild, haven't checked it since.&nbsp; I have NEVER seen smoke come out
  the exhaust pipe, neither have any of my friends.&nbsp; My valve cover has
  been leaking&nbsp;quite a bit since the rebuild
  <P>-Rob</P>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=1>
  Do you Yahoo!?<BR>New <A
  href="http://rd.yahoo.com/evt=1207/*http://sbc.yahoo.com/";>DSL Internet
  Access</A> from SBC &amp; Yahoo!</A> </BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_Tu7K3rTzMN9lfXBIhSFyXw)--