Help- how fast should carbon build up, and why do I have ugly internals!?

--0-1273359448-1032412420=:81331

Hey all, please help! I just pulled the head from my '84 8v so I can drill out a broken exhaust stud.  I completely rebuilt the motor(at 170k) about 4 months ago, it now has just over 6,000 miles.  Anyway, when I rebuilt it I meticulously got rid of every carbon deposit, the pistons were perfectly clean(even kinda polished), as well as the cylinder head bowl, and the valves.  Now after 6k I expected to see a little black, but EVERYTHING has a rather thick, crusty black coating.  The valves actually don't look too bad, but everything else is coated in black, after only 6k!!  I'm not burning oil am I!?  I replaced the rings during the rebuild ofcourse(they were from JCwhitney though, so not sure of quality).  I had an avg of 155 psi in all cylinders about 10 miles after the rebuild, haven't checked it since.  I have NEVER seen smoke come out the exhaust pipe, neither have any of my friends.  My valve cover has been leaking quite a bit since the rebuild, but I don't see how that could get in the engine. The top 1/4 inch of the cylinders bores are blackish/brown.  Also as I recall in most high mileage engine's I've torn down the cylinder bores were nice n' shiny, but my bores(which were honed during the rebuild) currently look, well, not shiny I guess.  They're darkish gray, unlike the usual light/shiny gray I've seen in my other motors.  I hope I'm just being overly paranoid about my motor's condition.  Lastly,  there is a faint "bridge" of carbon between cylinders 1 and 2 on the block deck.  I'm replacing the head gasket, but could my block or cylinder decks be warped?  I am resurfacing the head while it's off...  anyway please offer me any advice, whether for peace of mind, or go ahead and tell me that something is very wrong!!!  Oh yeah and the oil has been changed 5 times since the rebuild, so it has been well maintained-

-Rob