Stupid and probably repeated wheel offset question

>Would a wheel with a 45mm offset sit farther in or stick out more?  Basically
>I'm looking at some 13x6 wheels with an ET45.
>
>Thanks.

There is an explanation of this concept as well as wheel offset, and
wheel / tire
diameter calculators on scirocco.org.  Click the tire icon off the front page.
(I just discovered an html form error on that page if anyone was having trouble
with the calculators, they should work better now...)

Positive offsets move the mounting surface away from the center of the rim
towards the outside edge, creating more backspacing.   In your example, the
rim would have a backspacing of about 4.7 inches, which is within the generally
tolerated 5 inch backspacing limit on an A1.

==Brett

\/\/ '88 Scirocco 16v (Show), '92 Passat 16v (Winter+) | - brett@netacc.net